Sunday, January 29, 2017

Cheap Beer


What kind of desperate madman carries nearly 30 lbs of cheap beer with pedal power?  Answer: (assuming no DUI run-ins with the police) one who's having slugs ravage his peas.   

I've been trying to ride my bike more just to run errands in town.  Which is sometimes not the most convenient thing to do as town is 10 miles away.  Luckily we have an old railroad grade that is now a rail trail.  Unluckily I find riding a rail trail a snoozefest and, after a hour or so, kinda uncomfortable (isn't it amazing how often boredom and discomfort go together?).  I suppose I could (and sometimes I do) ride on the road but I hate riding in car traffic.  So most of the time my hatred of riding with big, fast metal things that could kill me gets the best of me and end up riding the boring ol' trail.

In truth the rail-trail pretty great and I really shouldn't complain.  It really is beautiful (especially when the leaves are changing) it's just that it can get a bit monotonous and I forget to look around.  

I went to the grocery store to get a few small things and saw this little guy/gal when I was locking my bike.

The errand I was running was getting beer to make beer traps for the slugs in the garden.  It made for  rather unlikely cargo in the bike trailer.

Between the weight of the trailer and the cargo in it the total weight I was pulling was around 40 lbs  - and even though the grade is pretty slight on the way home I was hauling uphill (a very slight grade but it get rather grindy after a few miles) most of the way.  Character was built.

No comments:

Post a Comment