Friday, May 19, 2017

Mayday, Deadfall Lifts, Fire, and Blueberries

For various reasons I hadn't ridden since the first of May when I went out for a ride yesterday.  The weather back on Mayday was a mix of snow and rain - snain for short.

Snain is the worst.  If it's cold, dry snow it doesn't stick much and brushes off when it does - and so a -10* ride is more comfortable than on one 45* warmer.  A warm rain is no problem, Captain Obvious has this to say about that, "you'll be wet but warm."  30-something degree rain is a whole different beast: if it's coming down hard you better put on your rain coat - but anything that's waterproof doesn't breath anywhere near fast enough to keep up with the sweat you're putting out even if you cut back on intensity alot.  So you're soaked - it's sorta warm from body heat but you also lose heat fast.  That sounds like no fun but if you don't put a raincoat on you already know what happens - you get soaked by the cold rain.  Body heat may keep you warm while you're riding but you lose heat fast.  I haven't yet found a good solution.  I'm curious to try a rain cape - anyone used one?  They look a bit dorky but if they keep you dry then that's worth it.  


I'm not particularly proud of it but I have to admit a little smugness in situations like these.  You can see in the bottom of the picture some tracks where an ATV had to turn around, unlike a bike, you can't just lift an ATV over a fallen tree.  Not that I'm too smug about it, there are many things ATVs do that bikes can't, but in a society that largely sees the limitation of bikes and not their potential, I'll take my victories where I can - even if I have to reach a bit.     
 The ride started off rather dreary (weatherwise) and so I decided before I left that this would be a hot cocoa ride - so I brought all the stuff for that - or thought I did.  I left the fuel for my stove on the kitchen table.  Whoops.  I do stuff like that.  Luckily for my hot cocoa consumption I had a woodburning stove and I was able to find a stick or two.


It has been rainy here for days or otherwise I could just use dry twigs - but since everything was wet I had to split the wood to get at the dry insides.  Perhaps I had subconsciously "forgotten" the wood to burn on purpose because I had inexplicably remembered to bring a knife and a saw - which is all I need to process wood for this stove.   
The stick that the knife is leaning against was my baton that I used the hit the back of the knife to force it through and split the wood.  

Batoning 




When I finished with drinking the hot cocoa I left my stove and setup to cool and hiked off up the hill to the north.  The trees here were fairly big and the walking was open and easy.  I hiked to the top of the hill, meaning to turn around there, but when I got there something a little farther on looked curious.  So I kept going and then when I got there there was something that looked curious a little farther on - and so on.  I ended up hiking a ways and took a few pictures on the way.  But mostly I just walked and appreciated the gorgeous spring day which had gone from dreary to sunny and beautiful.




These flowers mean that there will be blueberries here this summer.

Anyone know what this is?


SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment